The Angels’ Forum (TAF) has for 8 years employed a unique model for angel (private individual) equity investing in emerging companies. TAF is a private, closed group of 25 investors, including individuals and small corporate and family venture funds. The TAF group reviews 20+ new deals per week and on average makes 5-15 new A round investments per year, as well as follow on B and C round investments in existing portfolio companies. When TAF members invest, TAF creates a special LLC entity to make the investment, making the administration process vastly simpler for the entrepreneur and protecting the privacy of the investors. Members of TAF pay a fee to belong to the organization; entrepreneurs pay no fees or commissions. How is TAF differentiated from the several other types of angel groups that have formed at various times across the country?
- Small, stable, committed investor group with long history of investing together and low turnover. TAF only has 1-2 opening per year for new angels members.
- All deals reviewed and due diligence carried out by the angel investors, not by consultants looking for business opportunities.
- Investments are always made via a single investing LLC, simplifying the entrepreneurs’ process and protecting investors’ privacy. The TAF LLC will often lead the A round and be instrumental in bringing in venture coinvestors.
- Entrepreneurs are charged no presentation, “success” or other fees.
- TAF only invests in Northern California headquartered companies in order to devote sufficient attention and resources to management to encourage success